Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Croatia

It came to pass that I was homeless, at the end of my legal stay and nearly broke in Berlin. I asked myself what would be the best to resolve the situation. The answer, as I often choose it these days: to travel! Three birds: one stone. I would be happy not to be wasting all that money on rent while travelling. As I could not be bothered to pay 50€ for an EU visa, I have to leave the EU every 3 month and renter for another round. Best of all when man heads east out of the EU things seem to get considerably cheaper.

Having had far too much winter, I went online to find the cheapest most southern destination I could find. Low and behold what should my wandering bones discover but a 40€ flight to Croatia! So off we were; “we” includes my friend Tim who had followed Tina to Germany and also needed to leave Berlin having lived with her and her family for a month. Tina came with us for the phase 1 of Croatia. This original portion of trip was more your classical vacation, sitting eating out and sleeping with roofs over head.

On Saturday morning we put Tina on a bus toward Germany after spending the night in a luxurious hotel that was reminiscent of a bombed out communist high-rise. So we were again off with renewed anticipation. Over the next week we were going to follow the coast north and walk to Trieste. As it turned out we started our walk from the coliseum in Pula, and finished just short of Slovenia. This was still a commendable as we covered nearly 150 km. The worst parts of this walk was made along the shoulder of the highways, good sections led us along empty country roads, better sections followed narrow trails, and the best involved no trail at all. It was in the latter that I lost my jacket and a few other clothing items; pick pocketed by dense thorn bushes. As it turned out I did not want these items, as I was not about to begin to try and backtrack: now only happy to have the lightened load. It was a good time camping, not only because we were stealth camping – not so much public camping ground in Croatia. We would eat meals of bread, cheese, canned fish, and wine in the evening and then stop in for seaside cups of coffee the next day. What a vacation!

GPoD: Oh, 150€ for a small tent! Do you know where to buy a blue tarp and twine? - Doch, 150€ für ein Zelt! Kennen Sie wo man ein Blau Tarp und Seil kann kaufen?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home