Wednesday, November 10, 2004

The Wall

Yesterday was the anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall. Here is a bit of the enduring effect of a divided city:

During my first trip to Berlin, I lived in the West:

Old Home Here


Life was pleasant there. In the vicinity of my dorm was an affluent neighbourhood, a quite little bar down the street, a large park where families and ‘extreme walkers’ went to merrily play and happy little chain type stores selling their goods. Something had to be done!

Now I live in the East:

New Home Here

Life here is cool. At my local train station permanently live a small assemblage of bums, who constantly are begging for half used tickets then reselling them. They also have very good knowledge of the mass transit system. The day time stores are all more independent proprietorships; a corner baker, a imbiss restaurant, used book store, sushi restaurant, etc. My neighbourhood is also full of punks. You may think this sounds like trouble in truth they are good kids doing there best to keep the Nazis out. The buildings would be grey if it were not for the massive amounts of graffiti supplied by these civil servants. Most entertaining are the night spots. There are enough coffee shops surrounding my apartment to put Starbucks to shame and there are small pubs where you can find any mix of music you heart might desire, all while serving that liquid gold that Germany is famous for.


GPoD Nein, zum hundertste mal, ich ein Fahrkarte habe aber wie ich nach U-Bahnhof Berliner Str. komm? – No, for the hundredth time, I have a ticket, but how can I get to Berliner Street Station from here?

I will post pictures as soon as possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home